submitted by Nick Andriotakis on 20.12.2012
Dear Anzac Family
The Academic Symposium on the Battle of Crete and The Greek campaign, held on Thursday Dec 6th 2012 in the New South Wales (NSW) State Parliament Building was a well attended and successful event . The Symposium was sponsored by the NSW Government . The symposium was attended by 170 people including the NSW State Minister of Veterans affairs Charlie Lyn , Sophie Cotsis MLC , The Greek Ambassador, Canberra, Harris Dafaranos, the Greek Consulate General of Sydney, Vasilios Tollios, John Pandazopoulos MP(VIC) and many Anzac families from Australia and New Zealand .The speakers were
• Professor Joy Damousi - University of Melbourne ( our keynote speaker) http://history.unimelb.edu.au/about/staff/damousi.html
• Dr Ian Frazer - retired senior lecturer University of Otago ,and author will speak on "History of Escape and Evasion in Enemy Occupied Crete 1941- 1943" http://www.times.co.nz/books/on-the-run.html
• Dr Brian Taaffe - New Zealand author : The Gate Keepers of Galatas - about his father's involvement on Crete http://www.redkangaroobooks.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2081183
• Susanna De Vries about her book - Blue Ribbons Bitter Bread on the life of on Joice Nan Kivell Loch. http://susannadevries.com/blue_ribbons_bitter_bread.html
• Dr Maria Hill discussing the Australian relationship with the Greeks during WW2 http://www.mariahill.com.au/diggersandgreeks/
• Dr Michael Bendon (archaeologist) talking about his discovery of sunken naval craft off the coast of Crete: http://www.smh.com.au/world/mystery-emerges-from-the-deep-20120825-24t2d.html and http://neoskosmos.com/news/en/a-cretan-mystery-revealed
The link below leads to an article on the Symposium that appeared in Neos Kosmos newspaper.
The Joint Committee wishes to thank all who spoke and attended the Symposium.
Joint Committee for the
Commemoration of the
Battle of Crete & The Greek Campaign
Ph +61 2 8570 8888
Fax: +61 2 8570 8899
Mobile: +61 411 183500
Email Nick Andriotakis
Teacher, journalist, poet and author, Sydney NSW Australia
‘Andrew’ Anargyros Vretos Fatseas
Andrew Victor Fatseas (Andy)
1907 – 1998
“Whether in bliss or in distress, I never...
I thought I replied earlier, but maybe I forgot. We're related, I'm a Paspalas also, the village...
My uncle Angelo from St. Louis used to tell us that the family came from Kythira but...
About 5 minutes into the program Ada Margariti, who is an Attorney at Law, speaks about how she came to...
Interviewed during his visit to Australia, 2013.
August 17, 2010
103.2 HOPE - radio station
You’ve heard of PhDs in science, medicine and education but have you...
kythera we dont see anymore, this photo was taken in the early 80s, when it wasnt uncommon to see this...
great initiative from Mr.Peter Manea [ middle ] from sydney who from his own doing and costings is placing a...
18.08.2018 (Message Board)
24.07.2018 (Message Board)
18.07.2018 (Message Board)
Chora - 3000e, 2 bedrooms, 2 small baths, 2 sitting areas, eat in kitchen, furnished, veranda with...
08.08.2018 (Message Board)
Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about...