submitted by Kytherian Newsletter Sydney on 11.02.2006
The Society of Kytherian Studies is organising the 8th International Panionian Conference to be held in Kythera from 21-31 May 2006.
This prestigious conference is being held for the very first time on Kythera and will bring to the island more than 200 academics, writers and speakers who will cover many of the following areas of interest to Kythera and the Ionian Islands:
1. Archaeology: archaeological research, protection &
restoration of monuments, industrial archaeology, society & archaeology.
2. Architecture - Urban Planning: architectural identity of the Ionian Islands, representation & interpretation of landscape, urban development, construction techniques & building
3. History: historical sources, public & local archives, historiography, local history.
4. Institutions - Constitution - Public Administration:
established churches, religious denominations, education, law & jurisprudence, state & citizens, individuals & society.
5. Folklore-Social Anthropology: Folklore & anthropological research, popular religion, common law.
6. Society and Economy: family, class system, class struggle, demographic data, land property, land cultivation & transport of goods, production & processing, shipping, other economic activities, statistical research.
7. Culture and Civilisation: history of ideas, ideological trends, philosophy, natural theology, fine arts, literature, theatre, film & television.
8. Natural and Human Environment-Ecology: sound & reasonable management of environment & natural resources.
The Ionian Islands have always occupied a special place in modem Greek history and in many respects stand apart from mainland Greece in light of the strong Venetian and British influences on the island when the rest of Greece was under Ottoman occupation. Many of our Kytherian traits and customs can be directly traced back to that heritage.
This most important conference will focus on the latest academic studies and research and will add to the growing body of knowledge on the rich tapestry of the social and political history, culture, archaeology, folklore and the built and natural environments of the Ionian Islands in general and Kythera in particular. It is deserving of our support.
It is hoped that there will be observers and/or participants from the Australian Kytherian community who can attend this epoch-making conference.
Teacher, journalist, poet and author, Sydney NSW Australia
‘Andrew’ Anargyros Vretos Fatseas
Andrew Victor Fatseas (Andy)
1907 – 1998
“Whether in bliss or in distress, I never...
I thought I replied earlier, but maybe I forgot. We're related, I'm a Paspalas also, the village...
My uncle Angelo from St. Louis used to tell us that the family came from Kythira but...
About 5 minutes into the program Ada Margariti, who is an Attorney at Law, speaks about how she came to...
Interviewed during his visit to Australia, 2013.
August 17, 2010
103.2 HOPE - radio station
You’ve heard of PhDs in science, medicine and education but have you...
kythera we dont see anymore, this photo was taken in the early 80s, when it wasnt uncommon to see this...
great initiative from Mr.Peter Manea [ middle ] from sydney who from his own doing and costings is placing a...
18.08.2018 (Message Board)
24.07.2018 (Message Board)
18.07.2018 (Message Board)
Chora - 3000e, 2 bedrooms, 2 small baths, 2 sitting areas, eat in kitchen, furnished, veranda with...
08.08.2018 (Message Board)
Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about...