kythera family kythera family
  

Miscellaneous

Photos > Miscellaneous

Showing 141 - 160 from 494 entries
Show: sorted by:

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Peter Makarthis on 20.03.2005

Catherine McCarthy

Koukla’s
285 Gravelly Beach Rd
Gravelly Beach
Tasmania 7276
AUSTRALIA
Catherine McCarthy established this business March 2004 continuing a tradition of Greek business in the hospitality industry.
Her great grandfather’s family, commencing with Peter Phacheas (Fatseas), arrived in the colony of NSW 1889 and worked at oyster saloons in Sydney until he established his own business in 1894 at Orange. Peter was associated with businesses in Newtown (1897) and Inverell (1899). He returned to Greece 1901 and returned to Australia with his elder brother George Phacheas and was associated with businesses at West Maitland (1902) and assisted George to establish an oyster saloon at nearby Kurri Kurri (1904).
Peter Phacheas in the ensuing years moved on to establishments in Goulburn, Gatton (Qld), and Dubbo.
Catherine’s Papou – Theo Psaros – arrived from Kythera 1912 and worked in the same scene in Sydney, Cessnock, and Queanbeyan. Like many other Greeks of that generation he had a stint on the cane fields of Queensland which enabled him to stake himself in to business at S. Peter & Co Inverell NSW 1919. Theo Psaros together with his brother Peter who arrived at Inverell1922 conducted themselves in a life long partnership at Inverell with the S. Peter & Co, IXL Café (1922) and the Monterey Café (1936) until they retired 1969.
Catherine attended Ryde Catering College (1982) and afterwards worked in a number of catering companies in Sydney until moving to Inverell and establishing Oslo’s on Otho 1993.
Moving to Tasmania in 1996 saw a return to the origin of the tradition with the acquisition of the sea food establishment Gatenby’s at Rosevears.
Koukla’s, situated on the western shores of the Tamar River north of Launceston is a Mediterranean restaurant and coffee shop with an emphasis on traditional Greek fare.
In all, over a century and four generations of Kytherians in the hospitality industry is a significant achievement.

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by John Faros on 19.03.2005

Faros James

 

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by George Sophios on 07.03.2005

Ionian Parliament Building. Corfu.

Corfu (Kerkyra)was the adminstrative centre for the Ionian State, and hence for Kythera from 1800 until 1864.
From 1855 this building housed the Ionian Parliament.

A photograph of representatives of the Ionian Parliament in 1863, and the Flags and Great Seal of that Parliament, as well as Ionian State stamps and coins, can be scourced at kythera-family by searching Ionian on the internal search engine.

"At the end of Moustoxydi Street stands the historic Ionian Parliament building in neoclassical style.

It was constucted in 1855 by the Corfiot architect John Chronis and used by the Legislative Assembly, which previously sat in the Palace of St. Michael and St. George. It has historical significance, as this is where the last Ionian Parliament, on the September of 1863, voted the union of the Ionian Islands with Greece.

Until 1940 it was an Anglican church. During the World War II it was badly bombed and was completely restored in 1962. It now houses the museum of the Fighters for Heptanesian Indepedence, a memorial to those who struggled for the liberation of the Ionian islands. The other half of the building houses the Anglican church of Holy Trinity and the chaplain's flat".

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by George Sophios on 07.03.2005

Ionian Parliament Building. Corfu.

Corfu (Kerkyra)was the adminstrative centre for the Ionian State, and hence for Kythera from 1800 until 1864.
From 1855 this building housed the Ionian Parliament.

A photograph of representatives of the Ionian Parliament in 1863, and the Flags and Great Seal of that Parliament, as well as Ionian State stamps and coins, can be scourced at kythera-family by searching Ionian on the internal search engine.

"At the end of Moustoxydi Street stands the historic Ionian Parliament building in neoclassical style.

It was constucted in 1855 by the Corfiot architect John Chronis and used by the Legislative Assembly, which previously sat in the Palace of St. Michael and St. George. It has historical significance, as this is where the last Ionian Parliament, on the September of 1863, voted the union of the Ionian Islands with Greece.

Until 1940 it was an Anglican church. During the World War II it was badly bombed and was completely restored in 1962. It now houses the museum of the Fighters for Heptanesian Indepedence, a memorial to those who struggled for the liberation of the Ionian islands. The other half of the building houses the Anglican church of Holy Trinity and the chaplain's flat".

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Peter Makarthis on 06.03.2005

Sofia Fatsea

Sophia Fatsea(Sophia Phacheas)c1910

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Stephen Samios on 04.03.2005

St Micheal as the Archangel, as depicted on the Order of St Micheal and St George.

On the Order's insignia, St Michael is often depicted subduing Satan.

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Stephen Samios on 04.03.2005

Badge of the Order of St Micheal and St George. Origins in the creation of the Ionian Republic.

Badge of gold, in the centre a raised figure of St Michael subduing Satan, encircled by the motto AUSPICIUM MELIORIS AEVI in gold on blue enamel. Set on a white enamel seven-armed cross with fourteen points edged in gold. The badge is surmounted by a royal crown. The reverse features a raised figure of St George and the dragon. The badge probably belonged to William IV
The Royal Collection © 2005, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Spyro Calocerinos on 01.03.2005

Congratulations to another Kytherian- Christopher Alfred-

All 2004 winners. Christopher Alfred (Alfieris ) is up the back left.
The ceremony was on the 14th February 2004 and the award was for:
Significant contribution to the evolution of Digital Audio Editing for Motion Picture Post Production

Christopher, Andrew Cannon and Michael
Carlos, pioneered editing sound on computers,developed the computers and computer programmes, during 1989 to 1991.

Christopher is the son of the late Eustace Alfred and Katerina nee Semos (Semitecolos) and his wife Dimitra
is the daughter of Mr. Stelios and Mrs. Martha Stais of Blakehurst, Sydney

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Spyro Calocerinos on 04.02.2007

ACADEMY AWARD TO A KYTHERIAN

In the photo Christopher Alfred (Alfieris) with his wife Dimitra with his colleagues and their wives.
Christpher and Dimitra are the first couple on the left of the picture
Christopher is the son of the late Doctor Eustace Alfred and Katerina nee Semos (Semitecolos) and Dimitra is the youngest daughter of Stelios and Martha Stais from Blakehurst Sydney.

Andrew Cannon, Michael Carlos and Christopher , pioneered editing sound on computers,developed the computers and the computer programmes during 1989 to 1991.

The ceremony was on the 14th February 2004 and the award was for:
Significant contribution to the evolution of Digital Audio Editing for Motion Picture Post Production

Congratulations

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Spyro Calocerinos on 01.03.2005

Academy Award to Kytherian

Christopher Alfred (Alfieris) is the son of the late Doctor Eustace Alfred and Katerina Alfred nee Semos (Semitecolos).
His wife is the daughter of Mr. Stelios and Mrs. Martha Stais from Blakehurst.
Andrew Cannon, Christopher and Michael Carlos still full of smiles at the end of the night .pioneered editing sound on computer, developed the computers and computer programmes during 1989 to 1991.

The Award was for: Significant contribution to the evolution of Digital Audio Editing for Motion Picture Post Production
The ceremony was on the 14th February 2004.
Congratulations Christopher

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Spyro Calocerinos on 04.03.2005

ACADEMY AWARD TO A KYTHERIAN

Second from Left Christopher Alfred (Alfieris)
waiting nervously for his speech.

Christopher is the son of the late Doctor Eustace Alfred and Katerina Alfred
nee Semos (Semitecolos).
His wife is Dimitra daughter of Mr. Stelios and Mrs Martha Stais from Blakehurst, Sydney.
The ceremony was on the 14th of February 2004.
Christopher second from left, waiting nervously for his speech.
The Award was for: Significant contribution to the evolution of Digital Audio Editing for Motion Picture Post Production.

Andrew Cannon Christopher and Michael Carlos, pioneered editing sound on computers,developed the computers and computer programmes during 1989 to 1991.

Another Kytherian who deserves our congratulations.

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Stephen Samios on 28.02.2005

Spinach, herb, ricotta and fetta filo pastry pie.

From Sunday Life, 13th February, 2005.

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by James Victor Prineas on 25.02.2005

James Samios.

Parliamentary Farewell dinner.

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by James Victor Prineas on 21.02.2005

Olympia (Tzortzo) Poulos, (later Faros), Claremont, Queensland.

Daughter of Dimitri George (Tzortzopoulos) and Athena Connell, whose life history has been recounted in History, subsection, General History at some length. As has the history of her grandparents, George Dimitri Tzortzopoulos, and Olympia Tzortzopoulos (nee, Tzortzopoulos).

As a bridesmaid at the wedding of Helen Levantis and Peter Zantiotis (Zantes). Ollie sent this photograph to her grandmother and namesake Olympia, in Karavas, Kythera, with this inscription on the back - "My Dearest Grandmother, With all my love, Your loving grand daughter, Olympia. xxx".

Ollie married Alex Faros Arnoutis in 1956, and moved to Claremont in Queensland, where she has lived ever since. The Faros's owned the Paris Cafe there. Alex's father owned it before him. Alex has been in Claremont for more than 70 years.

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Kythera Island Project on 20.02.2005

Kythera Island Project.

Archaeology - Kastri explored by tractwalking.

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Kythera Island Project on 20.02.2005

Archaeology Line-walking at 15m spacing.

Kythera Island Project.

Photography by C. Broodbank 2001

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Kythera Island Project on 20.02.2005

Archeaological survey area - Kythera Island Project.

University College London and Fitch Laboratory, at the British School at Athens.

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by George Poulos on 20.02.2005

Tzortzopoulos - children of Dimitri George Tzortzopoulos, with their sole surviving uncle, Con George Tzortzopoulos.

Family gathering at Harry (Tzortzo) Poulos's Milton cattle property.

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by George Poulos on 20.02.2005

George Dimitri (Tzortozpoulos) & Con Dimitri (Tzortzopoulos). 1950's.

George and Con's parents Dimitri and Athena died tragically when they were very young.

Photos > Miscellaneous

submitted by Kevin Cork on 16.02.2005

Table. Picture Theatres and Taxable Admissions Related to Population of NSW.

From:

Cinema as Place:
The case of picture theatres in a group of towns and villages in the Central West of New South Wales
.

By Kevin J Cork.

President
Australian Theatre Historical Society.

Published in People and Physical Environment Research Journal.

Paper 49. 1995.