kythera family kythera family
  

Architecture

Photos > Architecture

Showing 121 - 140 from 239 entries
Show: sorted by:

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Peter Vanges on 26.09.2007

Kavalini* house, Avlemonas.

In the decades following the unification of Greece in 1864, Kythera once again became the stop-over port of call for Austrian ships from Trieste, using Avlemona during winter, and Kapsali during the summer months.

The company was known as Lloyds of Trieste. A repre­sentative was appointed to the island by the name of Giovani Kavalini who also acted as Vice Consul at Kythera. The descendants of this man remained on the island for many generations and the name is evident today, with many residing in Kythera, Australia and other parts of the world.

The tomb of one of the original Kavalini family members can be found in a small cemetery outside St Spyridon’s Church at Kapsali.

The Triestian vessels continued their journey to Smyrna where a strong Kytherian community was flourishing. The Kavalini family played an important role in the history of trade on the island as they were the official import-export representatives for many years, with trade from Europe and the Greek mainland.

pp. 147-148. Kythera. A History. Peter Vanges, author.

* Also spelt Cavallini, Cavalinis, & Cavalenes

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 11.09.2007

aroniathika

just before the main road turn off is this lovely restored home one of the many great homes in aroniathika.

Photos > Architecture

submitted by George Poulos on 10.09.2007

Windmill at Livathi.

The European Union must be congratulated on their efforts to restore architectural heritage sites of deep significance such as this one.

Their grants have been invaluable in restoring the Kytherian "klirenomia".

[In case you think that this photograph is impossible to "take" without having a whole lot of power lines in the way....you are absolutely correct.
The power lines have been digitally removed.
Which beggars the question - why not "actually" remove the powerlines around this beautiful windmill by undergrounding them?]

The windmill at Livathi in 1993, when it was still in ruin

Photos > Architecture

submitted by George Poulos on 10.09.2007

Windmill at Livathi after reconstruction.

The European Union must be congratulated on their efforts to restore architectural heritage sites of deep significance such as this one.

Their grants have been invaluable in restoring the Kytherian "klirenomia".

The windmill at Livathi in 1993, when it was still in ruin

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 02.09.2007

trifyllianika at dusk.

one of the many typical kythera villages with the old and new buidings side by side.

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Stella Yang on 31.07.2007

Hora

Street in Hora

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Stella Yang on 30.07.2007

Vase in Hora

Famous corner in Hora.

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Stella Yang on 30.07.2007

Kapsali

The lighthouse of Kaplsali.

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Stella Yang on 30.07.2007

Hora

View on Kapsali from Hora.

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Stella Yang on 10.09.2007

Windmill at Livathi (1997)

The windmill at Livathi after renovation

The windmill at Livathi in 1993, when it was still in ruin.

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Stella Yang on 30.07.2007

Windmill at Livadi (1993)

The windmill at Livathi in 1993, when it still was a ruin.

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Stella Yang on 30.07.2007

"Boathouse" in Hora

The "boathouse' in Hora on the road down to Kapsali.

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Zeidoros Ltd on 23.07.2007

Zeidoros Centre for the Arts & Education

Zeidoros Centre for the Arts & Education is located in Kapsali bay. It consists of a listed Venetian building, an amphitheatre and a restaurant area.

The building hosts seminars, conferences, and exhibitions, during the season. The theatre hosts performances and concerts. Visitors can enjoy a performance accompanied by a quality bottle of wine.

Zeidoros Centre for the Arts & Education
80100 Kapsali, Kythera / tel.: +30 2736038212
www.zeidoros.gr

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Kytherian Newsflash on 17.12.2006

Lighthouse. Apolitares (Antikithira). Aerial view.

Lighthouses of Kithira (Kythira, Kythera) and Antikithira (Antikythira)

Note: Kithira is an island about 12 km (7.5 mi) off the southeastern tip of the Peloponnisos. Historically and culturally it is associated with the Ionian Islands, although it is remote from them geographically. Like the other Ionian Islands, it was administered by Britain from 1809 to 1864. The island has a population of about 3500 and is accessible by ferry from Gythio or Neapoli. Antikithira is a small island roughly halfway between Kithira and the northwestern tip of Crete.

* Moudari (Akra Spathi)
1901. Active; focal plane 114 m (374 ft); three white flashes every 30 s. 25 m (82 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one end of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Tower unpainted except for a white band around the base; lantern painted white with a green roof; keeper's house painted white. Stephen Trifyllis has a distant photo in which the mainland can be seen in the distance. Located on Cape Spathi, the northern tip of Kithira. Site status unknown, but the site shoud be accessible from the end of a road that approaches the cape. ARLHS GRE-120; Admiralty E4066; NGA 15048.

* Kapsali
1853 (British). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a small 1-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white, except the lantern dome is blue. A good photo is available. Located on a promontory on the east side of the harbor of Kapsali, a port near the southern end of Kithira. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-077; Admiralty E4068; NGA 15052.
Faros Moudari; Hellenic Navy photo

Apolitares (Antikithira)
1926. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 23 m (75 ft) 2-stage round stone tower, lower stage cylindrical and upper stage conical, with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward end of a 1-story stone keeper's house. The tower is unpainted; lantern painted white with a green roof; keeper's house painted white. The Navy has an excellent aerial photo. Savas's photo appears to be of a different lighthouse, painted white. Antikithira has a population of about 50; boat transportation from Kithira can be arranged. Located at the southern tip of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-040; Admiralty E4072; NGA 15076.

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/grcw.htm

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Kytherian Newsflash on 17.12.2006

Lighthouse at Kapsali.

At:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88569288@N00/96199125/

Lighthouses of Kithira (Kythira, Kythera) and Antikithira (Antikythira)

Note: Kithira is an island about 12 km (7.5 mi) off the southeastern tip of the Peloponnisos. Historically and culturally it is associated with the Ionian Islands, although it is remote from them geographically. Like the other Ionian Islands, it was administered by Britain from 1809 to 1864. The island has a population of about 3500 and is accessible by ferry from Gythio or Neapoli. Antikithira is a small island roughly halfway between Kithira and the northwestern tip of Crete.

* Moudari (Akra Spathi)
1901. Active; focal plane 114 m (374 ft); three white flashes every 30 s. 25 m (82 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one end of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Tower unpainted except for a white band around the base; lantern painted white with a green roof; keeper's house painted white. Stephen Trifyllis has a distant photo in which the mainland can be seen in the distance. Located on Cape Spathi, the northern tip of Kithira. Site status unknown, but the site shoud be accessible from the end of a road that approaches the cape. ARLHS GRE-120; Admiralty E4066; NGA 15048.

* Kapsali
1853 (British). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a small 1-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white, except the lantern dome is blue. A good photo is available. Located on a promontory on the east side of the harbor of Kapsali, a port near the southern end of Kithira. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-077; Admiralty E4068; NGA 15052.
Faros Moudari; Hellenic Navy photo

Apolitares (Antikithira)
1926. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 23 m (75 ft) 2-stage round stone tower, lower stage cylindrical and upper stage conical, with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward end of a 1-story stone keeper's house. The tower is unpainted; lantern painted white with a green roof; keeper's house painted white. The Navy has an excellent aerial photo. Savas's photo appears to be of a different lighthouse, painted white. Antikithira has a population of about 50; boat transportation from Kithira can be arranged. Located at the southern tip of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-040; Admiralty E4072; NGA 15076.

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/grcw.htm

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Kytherian Newsflash on 17.12.2006

Moudari (Akra Spathi)

Lighthouses of Kithira (Kythira, Kythera) and Antikithira (Antikythira)

Note: Kithira is an island about 12 km (7.5 mi) off the southeastern tip of the Peloponnisos. Historically and culturally it is associated with the Ionian Islands, although it is remote from them geographically. Like the other Ionian Islands, it was administered by Britain from 1809 to 1864. The island has a population of about 3500 and is accessible by ferry from Gythio or Neapoli. Antikithira is a small island roughly halfway between Kithira and the northwestern tip of Crete.

* Moudari (Akra Spathi)
1901. Active; focal plane 114 m (374 ft); three white flashes every 30 s. 25 m (82 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from one end of a 1-story masonry keeper's house. Tower unpainted except for a white band around the base; lantern painted white with a green roof; keeper's house painted white. Stephen Trifyllis has a distant photo in which the mainland can be seen in the distance. Located on Cape Spathi, the northern tip of Kithira. Site status unknown, but the site shoud be accessible from the end of a road that approaches the cape. ARLHS GRE-120; Admiralty E4066; NGA 15048.

* Kapsali
1853 (British). Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white flash every 3 s. 8 m (26 ft) round cylindrical masonry tower with lantern and gallery, rising from a small 1-story masonry keeper's house. Entire lighthouse painted white, except the lantern dome is blue. A good photo is available. Located on a promontory on the east side of the harbor of Kapsali, a port near the southern end of Kithira. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS GRE-077; Admiralty E4068; NGA 15052.
Faros Moudari; Hellenic Navy photo

Apolitares (Antikithira)
1926. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); two white flashes every 15 s. 23 m (75 ft) 2-stage round stone tower, lower stage cylindrical and upper stage conical, with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward end of a 1-story stone keeper's house. The tower is unpainted; lantern painted white with a green roof; keeper's house painted white. The Navy has an excellent aerial photo. Savas's photo appears to be of a different lighthouse, painted white. Antikithira has a population of about 50; boat transportation from Kithira can be arranged. Located at the southern tip of the island. Site status unknown. ARLHS GRE-040; Admiralty E4072; NGA 15076.

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/grcw.htm

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Stephen Trifyllis on 10.10.2006

hora

walk through the streets of hora to admire magnificent classic venetian and neo classical architecture. how the island architecture differs from the north of the island to the south, sometimes you think you are on a different island.

Photos > Architecture

submitted by James Victor Prineas on 05.07.2006

Church of St. George

The ancient church of St. George which perches over Avlemonas and Diakofti.

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Kristina Williamson on 11.02.2013

Interior of one of the abandonned watermills of Mylopotamos

This image is part of a photographic documentary series entitled “One Year on Kythera”. “One Year on Kythera” was created by photographer Kristina Williamson, who spent one calender year living on Kythera, documenting the lives of Kytherians today; what aspects of traditional life remain in practice and in what ways the island is changing..

For more information on this project please visit www.oneyearonkythera.com

Photos > Architecture

submitted by Peter Makarthis on 20.11.2005

The Key Stone Kato Hora

The Keystone Kato Hora
The significant keystone in the top of the archway indicates that the arch was built by master stone masons of a superior class
Peter Makarthis