submitted by James Elwing on 28.02.2006
Information regarding glass plate negatives.
Views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the Powerhouse Museum.
Information on the following websites will prove helpful. [Do not be concerned with minor disagreements regarding handling and treatment]:
The Upper Midwest Conservation Association, UMCA Technical leaflet 'Cleaning glass Plate Negative's'.
Preservation and Archives Professionals. How do I house glass plate negatives?
There was a very good reference which was located at:
http://slisweb.lis.wise.edu/~hamuir/678/glass.html 'Images on Glass: collodion Wet Plates and Gelatine Dry Plates'.
which appears to have been moved/lost.
This was prepared as part of the Preservation conservation course at the UW - Madison's School of Library and Information Studies.
In the interim go to UW's, Madison web-site at:
There you will find reference to following workshop:
"The recommended text for this workshop is the Society of American Archivists's (SAA) manual Administration of Photographic Collections, by Mary Lynn Ritzenthaler, et. al.; OR if available, the forthcoming SAA manual Photographs: Archival Care and Management [due out in 2006] by Mary Lynn Ritzenthaler and Diane Vogt-O'Connor, with contributions by Helena Zinkham, Kit Peterson, and Brett Carnell. (These publications can be purchased at SAA's website, http://archivists.org/)".
Each of these websites provides information about the two types of glass plate negative, the earlier collodion (cellulose nitrate) wet plate and the later dry plate. They give the dates for each.
You can also look at:
'Glass Negatives' Information sheet 5.3.10 copyright NMPFT 2000 National Museum of Photography Film and Television Bradford, West Yorkshire http://www.nmpft.org.uk
'Tech Talk - Glass Plate Negatives -Storage of glass plate Negatives, Robert Herskovitz Chief conservator, Minnesota Historical Society Minnesota history Interpreter. July 1999.
John Stathatos, of Potamos, Kythera, also recommends the following reference, which includes extensive illustrations and is useful in helping to distinguish collodion from dry plates:
There are glass plate sizes up to 18x22 inches (460x560mm), and probably larger, depending on the sizes of printing paper available. These tended to have a wider variety of sizes with collodion plates as these were prepared by the photographer. Later gelatin plates were factory prepared and sizes became more regular, related to popular camera formats.
In the 1860s, there were no enlargers, so all prints were contact prints, where the glass plate was laid face down on the photographic print paper; the print was therefore the actual size of the plate. With later gelatin plates, an enlarger could be used.
8.5 ins x 6.5 ins (called whole plate) =215x165mm
6.5 ins x 4.75 ins (called half-plate) =164x120mm
4.25 ins x 3.25 ins (called quarter-plate) =110x82mm =105x80mm
Modern sizes for sheet film, the successor to glass plates, included plate sizes plus:
Called 5 ins x 4 ins = 100x130mm approx
Called 10 ins x 8 ins = 200x255mm approx
I am fairly sure these sizes were also available in gelatin glass plates.
There in nothing special about the glass. Evenness and flatness were better with gelatin plates. When you find glass plates, the plain glass side is frequently much more dirty. The emulsion - ‘ image’ -side, as long as it has not been affected by mould or water, can be cleaned gently by blower brush / fine brush, as described.
If the glass, non emulsion side, needs cleaning, a mixture of distilled water with a little ethanol / methylated spirits and a little ammonia may be used on a soft damp cotton swab / cloth, as long as this is discarded when dirty. If the image is peeling off, this may not be possible. No free liquid may be used, as this may reach the emulsion edges.
The edges of the plate must be supported to stop the face-down emulsion contacting anything during this process. I do not recommend such cleaning without the advice of a professional conservator.
As the website text explains - ‘for storage’ - it is best to have the plate surfaces in contact with an acid free, neutral pH paper, made for this purpose. The simplest is a single fold, but this would also require an appropriate seamless slip sleeve of paper or polyester (or polypropylene). Similar sizes should be stored together, all vertically, resting on one edge, in an acid-free box.
The problem is, you would need to know the condition, sizes and numbers of negatives before you could be sure what materials to order for safe storage. Suppliers of museum and archival materials exist in Greece.
Ideally, relative humidity should be above 40% and cool, but with the same stable RH & temperature. Please read my (word document attachment)explanation of the International Standards Organisation (ISO) standards for long term storage of photographic materials.
See, AN EXPLANATION OF THE NEW ISO STANDARDS FOR LONG TERM STORAGE OF PHOTOGRAPHIC MATERIALS
Power House Museum, Sydney.
Top, Map of Sydney, indicating how to find the Power House Museum.
500 Harris Street Ultimo, Sydney NSW 1238
Information Desk Ph: 9217 0111
How to get there
Entrance for 1 day study courses:
Entry via the schools entrance staircase - stairs leading down to this entrance are
located diagonally across from the Harris St courtyard. If you are walking through the covered walkway from Chinatown and the Monorail when you walk out into the Harris St courtyard the stairs are on your immediate right.
Bus: Buses travel from city locations - Circular Quay and Wynard to and from outer
suburbs along George St. Alight at the Harris St or Haymarket bus stop and from either it is a short walk of about 10 mins to the Powerhouse Museum.
For further information on bus and trains call the Sydney Transport Authority: 131 500
submitted by Hellenic Herald on 21.02.2006
The Silver Medal to Hugh Gilchrist.
Aπονομή από την Aκαδημία Aθηνών. Tου Aσημένιου Μεταλλίου στον Hugh Gilchrist.
The Greek Herald. Friday 17 February, 2006. Page 6.
submitted by Kytherian Association Of Australia on 11.02.2006
The Kytherian Association of Australia, based in Sydney has been known for most of its existence as the Kytherian Brotherhood of Australia.
The Association has used various Letterheads & Logos during its existence.
This particular one was extant during the 1970's and 1980's.
submitted by Heritage Collectors Society Inc on 07.02.2006
JOHN ADAMS (1735-1841).
2nd US President, Member of the Continental Congress for Massachusetts, early and vocal advocate for the Declaration of Independence. Adams was instrumental in negotiating the treaty ending the War of the Revolution.
Adams has written 12 lines in Greek, undated, concerning the Ionian Confederacy, transcribed from Herodotus’s history of the Persian Wars, Book 1, Chapter 141.
The text concerns the conquest of Lydia by the Persians, when the Ionians and Aeolians belatedly offered their allegiance to the conqueror Cyrus. An annoyed Cyrus in turn relates a fable, the moral of which hints at the dangers inherent in waiting too long to submit to Persian rule. The only portion of the document written in English is the heading "The Ionian Confederacy. Herodutus. Lib. 1. c. 141."
Like most of the founding fathers, John Adams was the product of a classical education, spanning Latin school in his teens through classical studies at Harvard in early adulthood. Being able to read the Greek and Latin classics in the original, and to pepper letters and conversation with appropriate quotations from the same, were the marks of a cultivated mind in the eighteenth-century.
Also included is a smaller four-word Greek quotation written by Adams, and set with a beautiful impression of his "JA" seal in red wax above. Examples of presidential autograph material in any language except English are exceedingly rare. A fine and attractive pair of documents, offering insight into the intellectual world of one of the most significant of the founding fathers. A translation is provided.
submitted by Roxy Theatre, Bingara, NSW on 28.01.2006
For a more localised map, from the Department of Lands, indicating the position of Bingara in relationship to Inverell, Warialda, Barraba, and the Queensland border, see,
From the nsw.gov web-site at:
Bingara is located 150 kilometres north from Tamworth, with Coffs Harbour 34O kilometres east, Port Macquarie 40O kilometres south east, Brisbane 485 kilometres north, Sydney 605 kilometres south, Moree 118 kilometres north west, Narrabri 105 kilometres west, Inverell 70 kilometres east.
submitted by Greek Festivals.com on 16.01.2006
Aphrodite a fragrance that captures a woman's beauty, sensuality and passion. Created to pay tribute to the ancient Greek goddess of love and beauty, this fragrance is a richly sensual and sophisticated floriental blend of clear golden citrus notes and sunny Mediterranean florals that have a reputation of evoking passion.
Beautiful, elegant and classic, it is truly befitting a goddess and any woman who wears it.
submitted by Athene Anderson, (nee, Gilchrist) on 15.01.2006
Advising receipt of the SILVER MEDAL, for recognition of his outstanding achievement in the publication of a three-volume work, entitled Australians and Greeks.
ACADEMY OF ATHENS
H. E. Ambassador Paul Tighe
Australian Embassy in Greece
Athens, 28 December, 2005
A. 7. 0114
Dear Mr Ambassador,
The Plenary of the Academy of Athens decided to award Ambassador Hugh Gilchrist with the Silver medal, in recognition of his outstanding acheivement in the publication of a three-volume work entitled "Australians and Greeks".
The ceremony of the various Awards by the Acadeny will take place on December 29th, at 6.pm. (it wil last approxiamtely two hours).
Today Ambassador Gilchrist informed the Academy that he will not be able to attend the ceremony and that he would be grateful if a member of the Australian Embassy or other personality could represent him.
Please find herewith two invitations for the ceremony.
I would appreciate an oral reply from the Embassy to the Public Relations Officer of the Academy, Mr Ionnnis Skarentzos (tel: 210 - 36 64 705), or Mrs Evi Angelopoulou (tel: 210 - 316 14 552).
President of the Academy of Athens
The Academy of Athens
The Academy of Athens occupies the right side of a grandiose neo-classical architectural complex, which also includes the National Library (on the left) and the University of Athens (in the middle). The three structures, designed by the Danish architects Christian and Theophil Hansen, stand on the adjacent large lots between Akadimias Street and Panepistimiou (Venizelou) Street in the center of the city.
The Academy was designed by the younger of the Hansen brothers, Theophil, and built between 1859 and 1887. The main entrance to the building is flanked by two tall Ionic columns carrying statues of Athena and Apollo. The side tympana are topped with sculpted owls, symbols of wisdom and of the goddess Athena.
In front, two large sculptures of seated philosophers, usually identified as Socrates and Plato, but perhaps representing Socrates and Aristotle, guard the main staircase.
The embossed compositions on the central pediment and the statues outside are works of the sculptor L. Drosis. The embossed compositions on the eight small pediments are worked by Fr. Melnizki (1875) and the wall-paintings in the interior were made by K. Grupenckel.
The main donator to finance the construction was the family of the Baron Simon Sinas, Ambassador of Greece in Vienna, Berlin and Munich. In 1887, the architect Hernest Ziller, acting as proxy of Sinas' heirs, delivered the building complete to the then Prime Minister Charilaos Trikoupis.
From time to time, preservation and restoration works take place. The facets, the statues and other decorating elements were cleaned in 1980 and the wooden roofs were restored between 1990 and 1992.
By a ministerial decree of 1952, the building, together with eleven other most distinguished edifices of Athens, was identified as preserved monument "in need of special protection" according to the relevant 1950 Law.
Address: 28 Eleftherios Venizelos Ave., 10679 Athens
Directorate: Cultural Buildings and Restoration of Modern Monuments
Phone numbers: +30-210-36.00.207, 36.00.209
submitted by Athene Anderson, (nee, Gilchrist) on 19.01.2006
Print Media or Publications
Australian's and Greek's in the early days
Australians and Greeks 1
Presented by His Excellency The Governor of New South Wales
The Earth Exchange
Monday 18 April 1994
Sponsored by Sydney Electricity
submitted by Vassilia Corones on 26.01.2006
Charleville is located in central, south-western Queensland.
Charleville was Harry Corones's domain - from 1909-1972.
[Fittingly, Harry Corones died In Room 39, in the Hotel Corones].
"Set in the heart of mulga country in south-west Queensland, Charleville has an important place in Australian aviation history. It was here that pioneer aviators Keith and Ross Smith were forced to land, on the first UK-Australian flight made by Australians, in 1919.
It was from here that Qantas started its first regular flights, between Charleville and Cloncurry via Longreach and Winton, on 2 November 1922.
And it is here that the Royal Flying Doctor Service has a base. A wall chart in the Visitors Centre outlines its vital medical missions to this remote area. In one month alone, the Beechcraft Kingair airplane flew almost 23,000km for emergency evacuations and another 7,500km to conduct its regular Outback medical clinics.
Charleville is one of the largest towns in Outback Queensland with a population of 3,900. It sits on the banks of the Warrego River, 760km west of Brisbane. A busy pastoral town, it was an important centre for outlying sheep stations at the turn of the century.
Hotel Corones was a popular destination and it's still a highlight for today's visitors. Charalambos Coroneos came to Charleville in 1909, having arrived in Australia two years earlier as a poor Greek immigrant. He soon changed his name to Harry Corones. Harry leased and ran a hotel for a while before buying the rundown Hotel Norman in 1924. This he demolished to create Hotel Corones, which became an oasis in the desert of the southwest. He spent 50,000 pounds and took five years, purchasing tiles from Italy and having the plaster ceilings hand-crafted.
Harry built a large public bar with leadlight windows and reputedly the largest bar top in the southern hemisphere, an enormous ballroom and a ladies' drawing room. There were even double rooms with private facilities, unheard of in country pubs in those days.
Hotel Corones quickly became the social hub of the area and was known as the "Hilton" or the "Raffles of the West". It was treated as the second officers' mess by US soldiers stationed here during World War II.
Harry was fascinated by flying and visitors included English aviatrix Amy Johnson and other aviators. Other famous visitors over the years have included rock and roll singer Johnny O'Keefe, actor Bryan Brown, former Prime Minister Gough Whitlam and English singer Gracie Fields. With the original colonial furniture still in place, Hotel Corones is as elegant and opulent as it was in times past....".
- Helen Chryssides
Professor George Kanarakis's biography of Harry Corones.
On 14 June 1965 people poured in and out of the Hotel Corones in Charleville, Queensland, all day. “The barmaids were run off their feet, the telephones ran hot and the local telegraph boy nearly wore out his bike”. Drinks were on the house for everyone, and everybody in the town was celebrating. The reason? The much-loved Harry Corones (or “Poppa” to everyone who knew him) had that day been made a Member of the Order of the British Empire, (M.B.E.) in recognition of “his remarkable services to the people of Western Queensland over a great number of years”.
Sometime during that day a jovial and exuberant Harry, now eighty-two years old but still with brown eyes twinkling beneath his curly white hair, may have paused to remember that fateful day on 10 August 1907 when, without speaking a word of English and at twenty-three years of age already responsible for his twelve-year-old nephew Demetrios (Jim), he landed in Sydney from his native island of Kythera.
Harry (Haralambos) Corones was born in the village of Frylingianika, Kythera on 17 September 1883 to Panayiotis Coroneos, a fisherman, and his wife Stamatia. Harry’s mother, Stamatia, was a member of the Frylingos family, an extended family so large that the village in which many of them lived had been named after them, and one which was very close-knit - something which would help Harry later in life.
Little is known of Harry’s childhood and youth on the island until 1904 when, at the age of twenty-one, he began two years military service as a first-aid-orderly attached to a military hospital. This part of his life completed, a decision had to be made about which direction his future would take. On the small island of Kythera there were few opportunities other than fishing or tending the family’s plot of land, and so the family reached the conclusion that Harry would have to emigrate. Moreover, it was decided that he should take with him his young nephew Demetrios, in the hope that they would both be able to build a better life overseas.
Harry’s first choice was America, but for medical reasons his application was rejected and so his hopes turned to Australia where, after all, his mother had relatives in Brisbane. And so it was that the following year Harry and Jim embarked on the long trip towards an unknown life in the foreign land.
When the ship sailed into Sydney harbour and docked, Harry and Jim disembarked with few possessions other than their meagre luggage and Harry’s pocketful of change, with no English at all between them and so their real adventure began.
Harry’s immediate concern was to find work. He had the name of a Kytherian, Mr Aroney, who might give him a job and so, leaving Jim on his own on the wharf to look after the luggage, Harry set off in search of his fellow-islander.
Despite being a total stranger in the city, he finally found Aroney who did indeed give him work in his fish shop. Aroney had nowhere for Harry to stay and so finding accommodation for himself and Jim was Harry’s next priority.
Walking in the streets near the docks, looking for a room, was a daunting task when he could neither read the street signs nor seek information from passers-by, but eventually he came across a fellow-Greek who was cleaning the window of a shop. Harry helped him to complete his task and was introduced to the owner of the shop, who turned out to have a place where Harry and Jim could stay.
Evening was now falling, so Harry, elated by his achievements, rushed back to the wharf to collect Jim, who by this time was feeling lost and afraid.The hours that Harry had been away had seemed very long to young Jim, who had been unable to buy anything to eat or drink, or to converse with the strangers who had tried to help him.
This long day over, their new life began. But it was to be a hard life in Sydney with Harry working extremely long hours, gutting and filleting the fish and opening oysters, with Jim working there, too, on the weekends and in the school holidays.
After about a year had passed, Harry decided that they should move on to Brisbane where, after all, he had relatives on his mother’s side.
This was to be a fortuitous move, for the Frylingos brothers (or Freeleagus as they were known in Australia) not only gave Harry a job in their oyster saloon on George Street, but would help him in a venture which would be the start of a long and very successful business career.
At the oyster saloon, Harry continued to work long hours, yet such was his care and concern for Jim, that he lodged him with an Australian family named Ballard, where he would not only be looked after but also improve his English, and then sent him to a school in Bundaberg.
But a life as an oyster opener, working for others, was not what Harry had in mind for his future. He wanted to start a business on his own and began to think about where this should be.
In the end he decided on Charleville, an inland town in south—west Queensland, six hundred and seventy kilometres from Brisbane, which was not only the centre of its region but where an empty cafe, owned by a Greek named Theo Comino, was for sale, With a loan of £120 from the Freeleagus brothers, Harry bought the cafe and so in l909, just a year after they had arrived in Brisbane, Harry and Jim set off for Charleville - another step into the unknown for both of them, but for Harry, a journey to the town which would be his home for the rest of his life.
In those days, Charleville was a remote, hot, dry and dusty, but thriving, cattle—country town with saw mills, a meatworks and a few other small factories. With the railway running through, it was an important rail terminal, but even more significant for the traders in the town was the fact that it was a main stopping point for bullock trains and camel caravans, as well as for the many drovers who were moving their stock from one part of the State to another, and even interstate.
The cafe on Alfred Street which Harry had bought needed much work, but from the start he ran it in the way he would run all his businesses in his long business career of about sixty years, offering good service, good food and warm hospitality.
The following year, Harry went into partnership with another fellow—Greek named Megalocominos in another cafe, on Wills Street, which Harry ran with his usual hard work, efficiency and attention to detail, It was a bigger cafe than the first one, but its importance to Harry lay not in its size, but in the fact that it was here that he met Paddy Cryan, a travelling salesman from Perkins Brewery in Brisbane.
Impressed as he was with the way Harry ran the cafe, Paddy astutely recognised in Harry the qualities of a good hotel owner. He suggested that Harry should move into the hotel business and take on the lease of the Hotel Charleville which had become vacant, At first Harry was reluctant to make this move because he knew nothing about the hotel business, and moreover because he did not have any money. But Cryan continued to persuade him and to assure him that the brewery would finance the deal and train him in the business.
Harry discussed it at length with Jim, and in the end the decision was made — Harry Corones would become a hotelier, and Jim would accompany him in this venture. On 7 October 1912, Harry signed the lease on the Hotel Charleville on the corner of Alfred and Wills Streets for five years at a rent of £ 6 per week.
That year, 1912, was very significant for Harry, for not only did it mark the beginning of a long career as a hotelier (the first Greek hotelier in Australia), but in June of that year, committing himself to Australia as his new homeland, Harry had become a naturalised Australian citizen.
Harry, with no knowledge of the hotel trade and with somewhat broken English, but assisted by Jim, threw himself into his new venture. The business was going well and Harry’s thoughts turned to his future as a family man.
Early in 1914 he left Charleville to go to Sydney for a few months, and there, on 29 April, he married Eftyhia Phocas at Holy Trinity church in Sydney. Eftyhia was the fourth of the six daughters of Reverend Serapheini Phocas and his wife Maria. Reverend Phocas was the first accredited resident Greek Orthodox priest in New South Wales (he had arrived in Sydney in March 1899) and only the second in Australia, and was a well-educated, scholarly man who spoke several languages fluently. Although he had been born on the Gallipoli Peninsula he had lived in Jerusalem, Crete, Alexandria, Port Said and Rhodes, and with this background he had brought up all his daughters to be well-educated, refined and with charming personalities. Apart from the youngest, Helen, who remained unmarried, all the other daughters eventually married well established members of the Greek communities in different States.
Yet joy would be mixed with tragedy, for early in the trip in Harry’s absence the hotel burnt down. Harry returned to Charleville with his new wife and the hotel was soon rebuilt. On 27 June Harry signed a new lease, this time for ten years, and at £540 per year.
The new hotel was bigger and more luxurious than its predecessor and Harry settled down to run it, assisted as always by Jim and now helped by Eftyhia, with his usual dedication to hard work and excellent service.
Running the hotel, though, was not without its unusual aspects. For example, boundary riders used to ride their horses into the bar, and at times there would be almost as many horses there as people, until Harry changed the doors and made them too narrow for a horse and its rider to pass through!
At the same time as running his hotel, though, Harry’s mind was on expanding his business interests as well as on providing new facilities for his fellow-townsfolk.
He formed a new partnership with three others, McWha, Crowley and Klass (though he would buy them out on 1 August 1919), and on 5 April 1915 they opened Charleville’s first cinema, the Excelsior, in premises at the rear of the Hotel Charleville. To this they brought not only silent movies (with two screens and the equipment set up in such a way that the films could be shown either indoors or outdoors according to the season) but also vaudeville acts from Sydney and Brisbane.
These were much appreciated by the town’s residents as well as by all who passed through, but what they admired most of all was the generator and electric lighting plant Harry had imported from London which lit both the cinema and the hotel — an amazing innovation for the outback in those days.
Harry’s life was very busy, for two months later (3 June) he took a ten-year lease on the Paris Cafe in the same block as the hotel, although on 4 September 1921, he would sub-let it to his cousin Peter Locos, for £1,700.
By now Harry was not only a successful businessman and a family man (his first child, Peter, had been born on 23 February 1915), but he was a respected and much—liked member of the Charleville community, admired for his boundless energy and his unfailing sense of humour.
Recognition of his business acumen and his popularity came first in 1916 when he was invited to serve on the Charleville Hospital Board. Then in 1919 he was a member of the original committee of the Ambulance Centre and some time after that he was invited to serve on the Fire Brigade Board. He gave himself wholeheartedly to these activities, yet still he wanted to do more to help end the town’s isolation.
His inspiration for this came in 1919 when, on a flight from England to Australia, Sir Keith and Sir Ross Smith made a landing at Charleville for fuiel and urgently needed repairs.
Harry entertained the two aviators as his guests (naturally) while repairs were carried out on the plane and it was refuelled from four-gallon petrol tins. Overwhelmed by the hospitality
they received for three months and the splendid farewell dinner which Harry provided, the two aviators offered to take Jim up in their plane.Though very nervous, Jim went for a flight over Charleville and the surrounding countryside, seeing the vastness of his new homeland from the air for the first time, and being the envy of many other young men in the town!
The spectacle of a plane landing at Charleville fired Harry’s imagination as a way to end Charleville’s remoteness, and he became passionately interested in the fledgeling aviation industry in Australia.
When Sir Hudson Fysh and other men of foresight decided to form an airline, which they would name Qantas (Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services), several of their meetings were held in Harry’s hotel, and it was at one of these meetings that, at Harry’s suggestion, inspired by the classical mythology of his native Greece, they gave the Greek names Perseus, Pegasus, Atalanta, Hermes and Heppomenes to five of their first seven aircraft. When the company was launched in 1920 Harry Corones was one of the original shareholders of the infant airline with one hundred one-pound shares. Qantas’ first scheduled service was from Charleville to Cloncurry on 2 November 1922, and picnic hampers sent out to the planes became a regular part of Harry’s life. Many years later, Sir Hudson Fysh would write in a letter to Corones dated 10 July 1971, with much affection: “I want to see you again, great, and long time friend and supporter that you have been, and to recall some of the old times long passed when the world was younger, simpler, and you used to bring out the morning tea.Yes, Qantas’ first caterer. And think what it has grown to today”.
In 1930, when Harry’s sons Peter and Alexander would go to school in Ipswich, Harry sent them there on Heppomenes as a sign of his faith in outback aviation.
In the meantime, Harry and Jim decided to branch out and buy a hotel in another town, choosing Quilpie as the place of their expansion. Quiilpie, dusty and dry, was a smaller town than Charleville with only a few shops, a police station, a court house and lock-up, a small hospital and some houses, about two hundred and ten kilometres to the west, in opal country. The railway had reached there in 1917, and Quilpie became a rail terminal.
Harry and Jim saw the potential in this small town and on 19 August 1921 Harry bought the single-storey wooden Quilpie Hotel for £ 2,935. Now the close working partnership was to be severed, for while they remained business partners and best friends, Jim was to go to Quilpie to run the hotel there. Soon Jim’s brother Harry, known as “young Harry”, came over to join him in the running of the hotel, and he was to learn from Jim everything that Jim in turn had learned from his Uncle Harry.
Soon, however, Harry’s lease on the Hotel Charleville would be due to expire and he began to make plans for the future, drawing on the experience he had gained so far. This would include the recollection of the time when, to help the people who had come from miles around to attend Charleville’s annual picnic races, Harry had set up a long row of temporary hessian bathrooms -and some wag had set fire to them, at peak bathtime. In no time at all a large crowd had gathered to watch!
While the Hotel Charleville was now one of the best in the Queensland outback, his dream was to have a hotel which would be by far the best in Queensland outside Brisbane, and equal to any in that State capital.
Six days after the lease ran out (3 July 1924) Harry purchased with Jim the Norman Hotel, a one—storey ramshackle place dating from about 1895, which stood a block south of the Hotel Charleville on the corner of Wills and Galatea Streets. They also bought the rest of the land in that block to Edward Street, standing almost opposite the town hall.
Harry brought in a well-known, prize-winning architect, William Hodgen junior, and together they planned the Hotel Corones which would be the fulfilment of Harry’s dreams and Hodgen’s major single work, as well as the highlight of his career. Using a local builder, George Baker, and giving preference to local men on a day-labour basis, the hotel was built in four stages and took five years to complete. Work first began at the south end of the block, the opposite end to the Norman Hotel, and the first two stages were in reinforced concrete as Harry was well aware of the fire danger connected with wooden structures.
While the planning and the initial stages of this hotel were progressing, at the same time Harry and Jim had more plans for Quilpie. At Jim’s suggestion they bought a block of land on Main Street in the small town centre and there built the Imperial Hotel — a wooden building but Quilpie’s first two-storey structure. The hotel opened for business in 1925 and once more the high standard of a Corones Hotel became known throughout the area. It was also the first building in Quilpie to have electricity, a generator being brought over from Charleville. For a time, Harry and Jim also operated the first picture show in Quilpie, next to the Quilpie Hotel.
Disaster would strike however soon after the opening of the Imperial Hotel when in late January 1929 Harry and Jim’s original purchase in Quilpie, the Quilpie Hotel, burnt down, destroying the cinema at the same time.
Learning a lesson from this, in the same year they completely rebuilt the hotel, with two floors and in brick and concrete. This was the town’s first building constructed in anything other than wood and it was known affectionately by all as “The Brick”.
As the building of the Hotel Corones in Charleville progressed, the Norman Hotel was finally demolished and the last two stages of the new hotel were completed in brick. Such was the care which had been taken in planning the schedule of construction of the Hotel Corones that trading was able to continue throughout all that time.
In 1929, after five years of planning and construction, the magnificent two-storey white Hotel Corones with its sixty-three metre frontage on Wills Street was completed, rising “phoenix-like on the site of the old Norman Hotel”. Harry had envisaged, and achieved, a hotel which no other in the State surpassed and which no other in a country town could equal.
Built at a cost of £ 50,000, it contained a lounge and writing room, a dining-room for a hundred and fifty people, a private and a public bar, a barber’s shop and, attached to the hotel, a magnificent ballroom, capable of seating three hundred and twenty people at a banquet, while upstairs were bathrooms, about forty single and double bedrooms each with french doors opening to a verandah (the double rooms also had private bathrooms) and an upstairs louinge.
Nor was size the only impressive feature of the Hotel Corones for the interior was decorated and furnished with nothing but luxury in mind and with exquisite attention to detail. Floors were of gleaming parquet and imported white marble, ceilings were exquisitely corniced, and coloured leadlight windows and doors, even a leadlight telephone booth, complemented silky oak panelling.
The hotel’s brochure published at the time gives detailed description:
“From the red and white cement footpath one steps into the Lounge, through widely—welcoming swinging doors — to find comfort awaiting. A cool, white marble floor seems to reflect the whiteness of the ceiling, where huge fans turn unceasingly to keep the temperature right in the heat of the summer, and in the winter time, wood fires make for warmth and comfort. Gleaming copper-topped tables throw back reflections on the flower-laden crystal vases, ever a feature of this room. Deep leather lounges and chairs are provided, where one may rest and entertain, and a door leads to a well—fitted writing room and telephone booth.....
The dining-room of Hotel Corones is situated on the ground floor, and opens out through long folding glass doors into a piazza, which gives an impression of coolness and space....
A very modern and luxurious Public Bar forms one of the extra special features of this hotel. With the Roman mosaic floor, and the egg-shell mottled tiled walls and counters, the Bar is tinted in the faintest of pastel shades of blue and cream, and an air of coolness pervades this spacious room.
More than usual attention has been paid to the planning and furnishing of the Hotel Corones bathrooms, and the best of modern equipment has been installed. Hot and cold baths and showers from running bore water are obtainable at any hour. The scrupulous cleanliness shining from the white porcelain baths adds to the personal comfort of each guest....
The bedrooms are furnished throughout in maple or sycamore, with spacious wardrobes, large mirrors, and writing tables. Soft, deep-piled carpets tone harmoniously with the furnishings, and from each double room one enters a luxurious private bathroom, mosaic floored, the walls tiled in shades agreeing with the colouring of the furniture and furnishings of the bedroom attached, where one may enjoy the delights of either a hot or cold bath....
To enjoy a quiet smoke, read, or a game of cards, one seeks the beautiful lounge upstairs. In this room an embossed ceiling in deep cream looks down on a polished floor, in which brown and cream boards alternate. The room is lined with French polished oak and a beautiful fireplace breaks the evenness of one wall. Comfort is the keynote here, and the visitor sinks deep into a velvet upholstered chair . Tables and smokers’s stands in rosewood lend a deeper tone to the greys and blues, which predominate in the rugs and upholstering. Soft lights and a perfect quietness make this room very desirable. When the westerly winds turn Charleville into an Arctic region, log fires are lit in this room, transforming it into a snug retreat, beautifully warm and comfortable”
At the same time excellent service and catering were to be the hallmark of the hotel:
“An office staffer ever courteous and well-informed, is in attendance in one part of the lounge, and deft attendants dispense hospitality when required.....
A capable, efficient staff pays attention to every tiny detail, and the most particular can have their every need supplied. A chef well versed in his art, serves up dishes to satisfy the most critical epicure, and every skill is employed to secure an appetising and dainty effect. Iced dishes for hot days, and fans whirling unceasingly, make life in the Far West pleasant at this hotel, and brings a satisfied friendliness to those who mutually enjoy it...... ...
The best brands of liquors are supplied, and the service unexcelled. A refrigerator keeps the drinks at just the degree of coolness individual taste requires, and the drinks being the very best obtainable, the Bar of the Hotel Corones depicts generally a very happy gathering. Bright, genial attendants, who seem to anticipate each client’s wishes, do much to add to the popularity of these extremely pleasant surroundings....
Every kind of liquid refreshment is stocked, in every degree of coolness, and no drink, however rare, is beyond the reach of the capable management”.
Pristine white starched damask tablecloths and napkins, as well as the finest silver cutlery Harry could find, were always used, while sparkling glassware and crystal vases filled with fresh flowers completed the picture.
This luxurious hotel, of which he used to say,”I built it, and the bank”, immediately became the gathering place for people from miles around and its reputation for elegance, luxury and fine service spread far and wide. However, it was Harry’s personality which added the crowning touch to the hotel’s reputation, for he was the perfect host. His warm and welcoming hospitality knew no bounds, and his joy for living radiated to all around him. Moreover he was a keen sportsman, and loved to take hotel guests shooting, golfing, swimming or just exploring the surrounding countryside.
Many were the distinguished guests who stayed at the Hotel Corones throughout the following decades, one of the earliest being the aviator Amy Johnson who made Charleville a stopping point on her epic flight from Britain to Australia in 1930. Staying at the Hotel Corones, in celebration she filled her bath with twenty-four magnums of champagne, which all the other guests later wanted to drink in her honour!
Two years later the aviator Elly Beinhorn would also stop at Charleville at the Hotel Corones, and this time Harry took the aviator on a duck shooting expedition.
Other early distinguished guests included the aviators Sir Charles Kingsford Smith, Sir Hudson Fysh, the Wright brothers, Nancy Bird and Jean Batten, the then Governor of Queensland, Sir Leslie Orme Wilson, the internationally renowned baritone Peter Dawson and the much-loved English singer Gracie Fields. In fact Gracie Fields caused a sensation when, before departing from the hotel, she stood at the open windows in front of the large crowd and the troops who had gathered in front of the hotel, and sang one of the songs for which she was famous: “Wish Me Luck AsYou Wave Me Goodbye”.
Other celebrities staying at the hotel over the decades would include judges, politicians (including Gough Whitlam), pop stars (one of whom was Johnny O’Keefe) and even members of the royal family, Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, and the Duchess of Gloucester, who later presented Harry with a gold lapel pin as a memento of their stay at the hotel. It was from the Duke of Gloucester, at that time Governor-General of Australia, that Harry was given permission to use the royal insignia with the wording “Under Vice Regal Patronage” on the hotel’s letterheading.
The success of the hotel was due largely to Harry’s business acumen and his capacity for hard work. He demanded equal dedication and hard work from his staff, but at the same time he was known for the fairness with which he treated his employees.Yet, the success of the hotel was also due in no small part to his wife Eftyhia (or Effte as she was known) who gave her complete support to Harry in all his activities.
Loved and respected by all, she was an elegant, cultivated and beautifully spoken lady who was always impeccably and stylishly dressed, and she was a great asset to Harry when guests, especially dignitaries, were welcomed and entertained. Effie trained the staff to exacting standards and worked hard in the background supervising many aspects of running the hotel, including overseeing the kitchen and setting the menus for the guests and for the many banquets and special functions.
But it was Harry’s sense of humour which helped endear him to guests and townsfolk alike. He laughed along with the others when jokes were made about his heavy accent - even making jokes against himself - and in the end would always see the funny side of any incident, and the incidents were many.There was the time when, again on picnic race day, people strung his crockery in rows across the street, or the time when locals broke into his hotel in the early hours of the morning and sold liquor to the people in the main Street - giving him the takings the next morning.
Another time a race-goer bet Harry one hundred bottles of champagne that he could not serve all the guests in the dining-room with champagne in five minutes. Harry took on the bet. Corks popped like gunfire and he flew around the room, winning the bet.
Not so profitable for Harry was the time when a drunken guest rode his horse into the ballroom on the night that a very elegant ball was in progress.The horse slithered and slipped on the highly polished floor, sliding into tables which came crashing down bringing their crockery, cutlery, glassware and floral decorations with them, while expensive ballgowns, which had been brought from Brisbane especially for the occasion, were ripped and mangled in the melée that broke out!
Other stories affectionately related by Harry’s many friends concern Harry himself. On one occasion, he was thrown into a panic when it was discovered that a honeymoon couple were not actually married because of a legal technicality, a shocking thing by the morals of those early days, which Harry immediately set about helping them to rectify.
Some of the stories involve distinguished guests like the late Sir James Blair, the Chief Justice of Queensland, who was being driven around Charleville with Harry in a somewhat dilapidated old taxi. Sir James upbraided the taxi driver for \vhat he considered to be the man’s atrocious driving, and announced that when he got back to Brisbane he would cancel the man’s licence. When Harry protested that he could not do that, Sir James indignantly asked why not since he was the Chie fJustice. Harry replied: “Because he hasn’t got a b.......... licence!”
But perhaps the most enduring, and endearing, story concerns Harry’s somewhat shaky grasp of written English. On one occasion, one of Harry’s guests had been a circuit judge from Brisbane who used to stay at the hotel, and who, every year, would go duck shooting with Harry. His visit to Charleville over, the judge had taken the train back to Brisbane when Harry discovered that he had left his gun behind, so Harry telephoned him to let him know. However, the line between Charleville and Brisbane was very poor, compounded by Harry’s heavy accent, and the judge could not understand what Harry was talking about. “Spell it” the judge said, becoming rather exasperated. So Harry spelt “G for Jesus, U for onion, N for pneumonia”!
Throughout this hectic but interesting time, Harry maintained his support for aviation and especially for Qantas. If ever the crew of one of the Qantas planes had to stay overnight in Charleville, they were always his guests at his hotel, and Harry’s tradition of sending picnic baskets out to planes which stopped for refuelling continued faithfully. Then in 1934 Qantas was granted a licence for international flights, which began in Brisbane, flying to Darwin with a stop at Charleville en route.
Harry took over a disused hangar at the airfield and converted it into a dining-room where meals were served to passengers, with all the elegance with which they were served in his hotel dining—room, complete with damask tablecloths and silver cutlery. Harry continued to provide this service for Qantas until larger aeroplanes meant that the stop at Charleville was no longer necessary.
With all these activities in Charleville, not for one minute did Harry overlook his business affairs in Quilpie.
In October 1934 he and Jim leased in that town the Club Hotel (which they purchased on 31 July 1965 for £ 8,000) bringing the number of hotels they controlled there to three with, incidentally, all of them being on the same block in the main street.
Now with a number of hotels and other business concerns, Harry and Jim decided to put their small empire on a sounder basis and on 10 June 1935 they formed a company, Hotels Pty Ltd., the name of which they would change on 8 October 1936 to Corones Hotels Pty Ltd. In the meantime, on 13 December 1935, they sold all their equities to this company, of which Harry was the Managing Director.
The end of the 1930s and the period of World War II, saw business boom in the Charleville hotels, with the establishment of an American Air Force Base in the new, but not yet operational, Charleville Hospital.
Harry welcomed the troops and treated them with his usual exuberance and hospitality, holding dances in the hotel every night, but life with the troops was not always without incident. While this was the time during which Gracie Fields visited Charleville, it was also marked, quite literally, by bullet holes inside the hotel. One night a crowd in one of the rooms had become so rowdy that an American Air Force officer, driven to distraction by the noise, fired his revolver down the corridor to shut them up, and hit the walls in several places!
It was the American troops who first began to call Harry “Poppa” and Eftyhia “Nana”.These names stuck and from this time on Harry and his wife were known affectionately to all by these names.
After the war, business continued to prosper and on 4 December 1948 the company bought the Hotel Charleville, at a cost of £37,100. It flourished, too, throughout the following decade, but the rural economy suffered badly during the drought of the 1960s.The local pastoral industry was hit hard and with it the economy of Charleville, including the Corones empire.
While Harry’s personal life had received a great fillip with his M.B.E. in 1965, in 1966 tragedy struck with the death from a stroke of his dearly loved nephew Jim, on 4 July.
Now he was deprived of his closest friend and his partner in all his business enterprises.Together they had built up an empire which at its peak comprised two hotels, sixteen shops and one garage in Charleville, as well as three hotels, six shops, one bank building, one garage and one house in Quilpie, all under the
umbrella of Harry Corones. Other business interests included the six thousand, eight hundred and eighty hectare Whynot Station, near Thargomindah and at one time a half-share in Gatino and Company, a wine and spirit import business in Sydney, which operated until the Depression.With Jim’s death, Harry’s health began to deteriorate.
However, business alone was not Harry’s sole interest or concern in life.
He was an enthusiastic worker for many causes in the town, and a devoted family man. Effie bore him five children: Peter (b.23 February 19l5), Alexander (b.23 February 1916), George (b. 6 April l918), Anna (b. 15 January 1921) and Stamatia (b. 3 April 1923). Having great respect for education, and also influenced in this by his well-educated wife, Harry sent Peter and Alexander to Ipswich Grammar and George to Toowoomba Grammar, while the two girls spent some years at Arsakeion, the prestigious girls’ school in Athens.
Sadly, though, Alexander died when he was fifteen years old. While playing in a football match he injured his leg; an infection set in and developed into septicemia, and this took his young life which was so full of promise.
Harry’s warmth and concern for others did not stop with his family, and he was a generous benefactor of various causes in the town, especially the hospital. His dedicated service to the Ambulance Board lasted for thirty-nine years (1919— 1958), to the Fire Brigade Board for over twenty-five years (until 1958), and he served on the Hospital Board for an unbroken fifty-three years (1916-1969),— a period of service not remotely approached by any other individual in Charleville or elsewhere. For much of this time he was also chairman of the Board’s Works Committee and the hospital stands as a testimony to his unflagging dedication in this role, while the nurses’ quarters was officially named The Harry Corones Block.
Harry, a lover of sport, was a great supporter of local sporting groups. He was a foundation member and major developer of both the original Charleville golf club and the first bowling club, he helped to set up and finance a local basketball team, and was a foundation patron of the All Whites Football Club, who made him a life member in September 1966, in recognition of his continued support of the club.
Also, he was a Freemason and in appreciation of his long and significant service in 1972, just before his death, he was presented with the Life Governor’s Jewel of the Aged Masons, Widows and Orphans Institution.
The one institution in which he would never participate though, was politics (despite his many politician friends), always declaring that he had no patience with politics and always refusing to get involved!
Nor was the individual overlooked in Harry’s concern and magnanimity. Whenever drovers were away on their lengthy trips, Harry always ensured that their families (whether white or aboriginal) had enough food, and helped them sort out any other problems they might have. In the same way his generosity, based on respect, extended to all the nurses and doctors who worked at the Charleville Hospital, never allowing them to pay for any food or drinks they might have, in any of his hotels, where their being anything other than Harry’s guests was out of the question.
In the years since Jim’s death, Harry had lost his hearing and a large part of his eyesight. He still lived in the hotel he had created, guided and controlled for so many years, but now his days were drawing to a close. On 22 March 1972 Harry Corones, the man who had left his indelible mark on so many aspects of life in Charleville, passed away, at the grand old age of eighty-eight.The whole town was deeply saddened, and a huge procession, comprising most of the townspeople as well as many of his friends and former guests from other places, accompanied his coffin to the local cemetery where he was buried. Two years later, on 8 March 1974, Eftyhia (who was now living in Brisbane) followed her husband and was buried next to him in the Charleville cemetery, where Alexander had also been buried many years before.
The day after Harry’s funeral the dinner bell beside the entrance of the dining-room, which had been a part of a bore casing given to Harry by a wealthy grazier friend, bronzed and made into a dinner bell by Harry, was not rung. It has never been rung since.
The Hotel Corones still stands as a memorial to Harry Corones and his wife Eftyhia. In the last years of his life it had been run by their son Peter and his wife Mary.
A decade later it passed out of Corones hands, changing hands once more in 1985 when it was sold to Gordon and Andrew Harding.
Lovingly and painstakingly restored after the disastrous floods of 1990, its architectural and social value were recognised by the National Trust of Queensland in 1993 when they included it on their Register, while in May 1997 it was placed on the Heritage List.
Today, guests still stay in the splendid I920s rooms of the Hotel Corones, locals still drink in its magnificent bar and both visitors and locals eat in the splendid dining-room which retains much of its original decor and furnishings, including the specially made chairs, with a carved C embellishing them and some of the beautifully engraved silverware.
Daily tours through the Hotel Corones mean that the vision and the high standards of Harry Corones, who built a hotel that was unequalled in rural Queensland, can still be appreciated, as can Harry himself, the man who became known as “the uncrowned king of the West”.
In The Wake Of Odysseus. Portraits of Greek Settlers in Australia.
124 La Trobe Street
Greek-Australian Archives Publications
submitted by Queensland Government on 31.12.2005
Other Name Corones Hotel Norman
Place ID 601282
Status Permanent Entry
Address 33 Wills Street
LGA MURWEH SHIRE COUNCIL
Theme Eating and drinking
Theme Remembering significant phases in the development of settlements, towns and cities
Theme Lodging people
Riding on the statewide economic boom of the 1920s, Harry “Poppa” Corones built his hotel which was to become a byword for hospitality in the west. Spanning nearly a block of Charleville’s main street, the Hotel Corones was also to become in the succeeding decades, a symbol of both the prosperity and the changing fortunes of the town and the pastoral industry of south west Queensland, which it served.
The man and his hotel became synonymous: the use of the Corones name as the hotel name represented a significant break in the English tradition of the naming of hotels within an accepted nomenclature, a marketing strategy which was to see both the man and his hotel achieve (a joint and severable) iconic status in the west. That this icon was also of Greek origin was even more singular: Greek migration to Queensland in this century was most visible in the small business sector; the Greek cafe and green grocer became standard fixtures in the state’s cities and throughout rural Queensland. Harry Corones’ move into the hotel industry and the scale in which it was undertaken (uncompromisingly proclaimed by his ambitious plans for the Hotel Corones) represented a significant leap. Moreover in the (predominantly British) mythology of the (Queensland) west, the Greek hero was (and is) a rarity.
The Hotel Corones is the major work of architect William Hodgen whose Toowoomba practice extended throughout the west including a number of country hotels including others in Charleville (Hotel Charleville 1912; and the Hotel Corone’s close relative the Hotel Charleville as rebuilt (again) 1931). A dominant landmark in the Charleville townscape, the quality and intactness of the hotel in particular the interiors (including not only the accommodation areas of the hotel, foyer, and dining room, but also uncommonly, a substantially intact bar area) as well as furnishings and fittings make the Hotel Corones an exceptional example of an intact interwar hotel (albeit one conceived on a grand scale)
In common with so many Queensland country towns, a number of timber buildings in Charleville (including the hotel previously leased by Harry Corones, the Hotel Charleville) had been destroyed by fire. The Hotel Corones was one of several substantial masonry buildings erected in Charleville during the 1920s and 1930s: particularly given that so few of the earlier major buildings of the town remain these buildings are an important part of the built fabric of the town as well as a demonstrable attempt to break with a rather bleak tradition associated with the use of timber as a building material in the hot dry climate of the west.
The town of Charleville was surveyed in 1867 following the surveying of a number of pastoral runs in the district in 1863. Sited on the banks of the Warrego River along a natural stock route from New South Wales to Western Queensland, the town was to develop as the major service centre for the surrounding pastoral industry: bullock teams passed through the town, Cobb & Co established stables (as well as a factory for the construction of mail coaches and buggies and an associated sawmill) and in 1888 Charleville’s position as a strategic transport node for the south west was confirmed when it became the terminus for the Western Main [railway] Line (extended south to Cunnamulla 1898 and west to Quilpie 1917).
The first half of the 1920s was a time of economic prosperity in Queensland unrivalled for three decades. The boom was sustained longer in the building sector than in others; and in Brisbane the transformation of the city’s central business district was a tangible legacy of the boom. In Charleville the main streets gave an air of solid prosperity to this centre of one of the richest areas of western Queensland ... it has fine hotels, stores, offices of the leading pastoral firms, and a full complement of general business concerns. There is a most attractive School of Arts, Town Hall, [and] three churches ... There is a most excellent club, the “Warrego” ... The fledgling QANTAS commenced their first commercial services from the town in 1922 (“replacing” the last Cobb & Co coach which ran in 1920); in 1924 the town turned on electric lights; and in 1926 a new Town Hall was completed. However a severe drought in 1926 described by the Charleville Chamber of Commerce as the worst season known by black or white man with losses of sheep to the enormous extent of eleven millions was to bring the state’s pastoral and agricultural sectors to collapse and many rural towns entered a slow decline into the world-wide depression of the 1930s.
On the cusp of the boom/bust, Harry Corones was to commence building his grand vision of hospitality for the west to rival the capital’s best hotels. Born on the Greek island of Kythera, Harry “Poppa” Corones arrived in Australia in the early 1900s coming to Charleville by 1909 when he was recorded in the Post Office Directories as a “fruiterer”. Reputedly on the encouragement of a brewing company representative, Corones became in 1912 the licensee of the Hotel Charleville, which he operated until 1924.
In 1926 Corones became the registered owner of the Hotel Norman, a single storeyed hotel established c1895 located a block south of the Hotel Charleville on the corner of Wills and Galatea Street. In an advertisement in Pugh’s Almanac for 1905, proprietor DC McDonald claimed the hotel as the leading hotel of the southern western line ... the home of the pastoralist, agriculturalist and tourist with lofty cool bedrooms, hot and cold baths, and good paddocking - claims which would be later repeated and amplified by Corones regarding his own hotel.
Construction of Corone’s Hotel Norman (as it was then called) commenced in 1924. Rising phoenix-like on the site of the old Norman Hotel, the ambitious scheme was built in four stages from the south to the north to enable continuation of trade; the construction dates displayed at either end of the building testifying to the five year enterprise. Significantly, given the number of (timber) buildings in the town destroyed by fire including Corone’s former hotel the Charleville (actually destroyed by fire twice), Harry Corone’s new hotel was a masonry building. The first two stages were of reinforced concrete, the third including the ballroom and final stages of brick. Costing some £50,000 the hotel was built by day labour with preference given to men of the district. By the end of 1926 the new hotel was two thirds complete; only the bar area of the Norman Hotel remained. The mythology of Corones was also well advanced. According to the Australian Pastoralist, Grazing Farmers’ and Selectors Gazette the hotel was the topic of conversation from Roma to Eulo, and out to the far west and north ... In every way the new Hotel Corones will be an example of hotel architecture and comfort scarce equalled in the Southern Hemisphere, and will undoubtedly be a great centre for all western men.
The final stage of building was completed in 1929. The hotel now stretched almost an entire block of Charleville’s main street. According to the A & B Journal of Queensland it was a magnificent white building ... an outstanding feature in a progressive town ... the best equipped and most up-to-date hotel outside the metropolis ... generally acknowledged as the calling-place of all distinguished tourists and travellers... The Hotel itself produced a 12 page brochure about this time which included black and white photographs of the interior: on the ground floor the lounge had gleaming copper-topped tables, deep leather lounges and chairs and led to a writing room and telephone booth, the dining room enticing in its cleanliness was capable of seating 150; the private bar which gave exclusive service amidst convivial surroundings was screened from the public bar by an ingenious arrangement a French polished oak partition with mirrors; the public bar was very modern and luxurious and a cool cement court-yard formed an entrance to the ball-room. Upstairs all accommodation rooms opened onto the verandah - some were equipped with their own bathrooms designed to please the most fastidious and the upstairs lounge was just the place for a real restful smoke. Corones Hall located on Galatea Street had a floor unexcelled outside Brisbane and was largely in demand for exclusive balls, parties, and banquets. Capable of seating 320 at dinner, the hall was built for coolness with a number of high set windows and electric ceiling fans. The lights with Venetian shades of various hues [were] adjustable either to dimness or the reverse, and an orchestra platform added to its popularity and beauty.
Furnishings throughout including the bedroom furniture, dining room, lounge room, chairs, settees, sideboards, etc were designed and manufactured by that well known Queensland home furnisher F Tritton Ltd George Street Brisbane from that beautiful Queensland wood, the Queensland maple. Carpets, linoleums, floor coverings, curtains, etc (British throughout) were all laid and fitted by Trittons.
The architect of this magnificent modern hotel was William Hodgen jnr (1867-1943). The son of pioneer Toowoomba building contractor William Hodgen, in 1886 he became a cadet in the Colonial Architect’s Office and in 1891 enrolled at the Architectural Association in London whilst working with a number of prominent London architects. In December 1896 he returned to Queensland commencing practice the following year in Toowoomba when he immediately received a substantial commission from retailer TC Beirne for works to his newly established Fortitude Valley premises as well as winning a competition for a new wing to the Toowoomba Hospital (the Victoria Wing). In practice until his death in 1943 (from 1935 in partnership with his sons as W Hodgen and Hodgen), Hodgen’s practice, like that of contemporary Harry Marks (1871-1939) (who also was a member of one of Queensland’s architectural family dynasties) was both extensive and broadranging from domestic (eg the Toowoomba residences “Tor” (1904) [DEH file ref 601325) and Tyson Manor (1905) [Entry in the Heritage Register 600864], institutional (eg Glennie Memorial School (1914), to industrial (eg flour mill and wheat and flour stores for Crisp O’Brien 1911) and a number of hotels in western towns including in Charleville, the Hotel Charleville (1913; rebuilt again after a second fire 1931). Hodgen’s second Hotel Charleville was similar but of a smaller scale to the Hotel Corones - both had lost the classical and arts and crafts elements typical of his early hotels, and instead adapted simplified Art Deco decoration on the facade. Both hotels are a dominant presence in Charleville’s main street; but it is the Hotel Corones which is regarded as Hodgen’s major single work and the highlight of his career.
For over thirty years the Hotel Corones (“The Leading Hotel of the West”) flourished as a tourist, pastoral and CTA (Commercial Travellers Association) House. Harry Corones’ advertisements and stationery proclaimed vice-regal patronage; and in addition to wealthy local graziers, celebrities such as Amy Johnson, Gracie Fields, and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were guests at the Hotel. In 1936 there were on average 133 guests per week and during World War II when “American” servicemen occupied the local aerodrome and hospital, “Poppa” Corones did a roaring trade with dances held “every night” in Corones Hall. In 1959, the state’s centenary year, Charleville’s civic welcome to its Royal visitor, HRH Princess Alexandra took place in front of the hotel and Corone’s advertisement in the town’s centenary souvenir book could still proclaim that Charleville Means CORONES because Corones is the centre of Charleville’s social activities and the rendezvous where business agreements can be made in surroundings which, by their comfort and restfulness, provide the perfect setting for quiet consideration. People who insist on the best in fine living invariably made Corones their home while in Charleville.
Just a few years later, however, a Licensing Commission Report described Corones as at one time (past tense) the leading hotel in Charleville now overtaken by the new type of hospitality accommodation, the motel in the shape of the newly rebuilt Victoria Hotel-Motel. Drought in the 1960s was also to severely impact on the local (including Corones’) economy: the heyday of both the town and the Hotel was over.
In 1972 Harry Corones died; his elder son, Peter and wife Mary who had operated the hotel for some time prior to Harry Corone’s death continued its stewardship. In 1982 the hotel was acquired by Doreen and Bob Bishop. It was acquired by the present owners in 1989. In 1990 a motel was erected to the rear of the hotel: in April of that year, the disastrous flood which covered much of the town, entered the ground floor of the hotel. As a result substantial works including the restoration of the main stair were carried out; about this time some bedrooms on the upper floor were also converted into bathrooms and what are believed to be the former Commercial Travellers’ sample rooms on Galatea Street were converted into a shop and motel style accommodation. In 1993, the hotel was listed by the National Trust of Queensland. The Hotel Corones is now operated by Gordon and Frances Harding as both a local pub and (in recognition of the hotel’s iconic status) a cultural tourist attraction in the state’s south west: Corones Hall is regularly used for functions such as weddings and balls, daily tours of the hotel are conducted by Mrs Harding, and the mythology of both the man and his hotel continues.
Corones Hotel is a two storey rendered brick and re-inforced concrete building running on a north south axis along Wills Street (Charleville’s main street and part of the Warrego Highway) between Galatea and Edward Streets, Charleville. It has an adjoining single storey ballroom and a hall running to the east along Galatea Street
A bar, foyer, dinning room, kitchen, shops, ballroom, hall and toilets and three shops occupy the ground floor; accommodation rooms and a guest lounge are located on the first floor. There are single storey contemporary motel units in the south east corner of the site which are not considered of cultural heritage significance. A double story building which included staff quarters on the upper level and garages below are located behind the motel units.
The building has a wide two storey verandah which extends over the footpath running down Wills Street and returning along Galatea Street. The verandah has a straight roof and is constructed of timber supported by timber posts with brackets at their tops. There is a simple timber battened balustrade at the first floor.
A high parapet with projecting piers sits above the verandah along Galatea and Wills Streets and returns along the southern elevation from Wills Street and runs south back from Galatea Street. The parapet is accentuated with shaped gable sections at each end and centrally along Wills Street and at the Galatea Street and south ends. A small cornice runs along the top of the parapet and the name HOTEL CORONES is cast in relief with a surrounding border on the south and north ends and centrally along Wills Street. Construction dates AD 1924 and AD 1929 are on the south and north ends of the building respectively. A heavy cornice with supporting dentals runs above the verandah roof between the shaped gables along Wills and Galatea Streets.
The main roof is a skillion form and is clad in corrugated iron.
A rear verandah is situated on the south eastern corner of the building and the kitchen wing with two prominent attached fireplaces extends at right angles from the rear of the building.
The exterior to the ground floor is punctuated with doors to the main entrance foyer from Wills Street and entrances to the bar from both Wills and Galatea Street. Deep casement windows some of which have leadlight designs are regularly positioned along both street frontages. A tiled dado runs along the walls to the bar and to the three shops on the southern end of the building where aluminium windows have been installed. At first floor level accommodation rooms open onto verandahs through French doors.
Adjoining the hotel to the east is a single storey ballroom with a central door and two symmetrically positioned windows with semi circular heads either side. The facade of this part of the building is plain with a simple cornice that forms a parapet to the flat roof over. Adjoining this area is Corones Hall. The Hall is set back from Galatea Street and is entered from a centrally positioned set of heavy wooden doors. The facade is rendered to the height of the adjoining ballroom roof and has piers supporting a dentaled cornice which rises over the entrance in a semicircular pediment. Above this is a brick gabled stepped parapet with projecting piers and plaster coping. The brick work has decorative diamond patterning at the apex of the gable and at each side above the cornice. The name CORONES’ HALL is inscribed in plaster relief on a plaster tablet on the gable above the entrance door.
The interior of the hotel retains its original detailing. The foyer has a silky oak panelling, decorated plaster ceilings, and leadlight windows. The main stair is silky oak. Many original furnishings remain.
Information about places in the Queensland Heritage Register is maintained by the Environmental Protection Agency under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. Information available here is only part of the full Register entry and should not be taken as an official entry. Absence does not mean a particular place is not in the Register.
Certified copies of the full entries in the Register are available for a fee. You can also search the full Register for a fee to find out if a place or parcel of land is listed or otherwise affected by the Act.
Queensland's Multicultural Heritage.
Places and Meanings.
Over the years many groups of people have developed Queensland is a vibrant, multicultural society, with a long history of settlement by people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
Over the years many groups of people have developed special associations with a variety of places in Queensland, some of which are entered in the Queensland Heritage Register and protected under the Queensland Heritage Act 1992. These places include the Chinese temple at Atherton, the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St Nicholas in Brisbane, the Kytherian Hotel Corones in Charleville, the Japanese Consulate known as Kardinia" in Townsville, the Hebrew Synagogue in Brisbane, the Australian South Sea Islander meeting hall at Homebush, and the Marble Cafe at Childers, developed by the Cominos brothers who came to Queensland from Kythera, Greece............
To view or download the contents of this Queensland Government information sheet:
submitted by NSW Heritage on 30.12.2005
Menu from Mallo's cafe in Nanango.
Proprietor: Chrys Mallos.
Steak and eggs...2/6d.
Appended to the Milkshakes, Sundaes & Cafe Culture Education Kit, for Junior Schools.
To view or download the kit:
submitted by Gilgandra Historical Society on 07.12.2006
The Gilgandra Historical Society is in possession of a number of "Baveas" platters - at least two of which are on permanent display in Gilgandra' Museums.
The Serving Tray is inscribed:
With Compliments From
The ABC Cafe
Choice fruit and Confectionery,
American Soda Fountain Drinks &
Afternoon Tea Always Ready
This platter is on display at the Gilgandra Rural Museum.
Gilgandra Rural Museum
The second platter is, among other realia from Kytherian cafes and shops in Gilgandra, on display at the Coo-ee Heritage Centre.
Baveas platter at the Coo-ee Heritage Centre
The platter dates from the mid-1920's.
Stavros, known as Stan Baveas established the ABC Cafe in Gilgandra/
The Baveas's history of ownership of the ABC unfolds like this:
Stavros Con Baveas, left Potamos, Kythera as a 20 year old in 1908. He spent a few years as a cook for the Cordatos' in Dubbo, prior to establishing the ABC Cafe in Gilgandra in 1910. Stavros Baveas ran the ABC for the next 17 years, with assistance from his brothers and his nephew Con Coroneos. In the 1916 census, he is listed as a Restauranteur and his brother, Sotiros Baveas, aged 31, is listed as a cook, in Gligandra. The ABC then passed to a H. Baveas, who ran it for two years.
Stavros was a civic leader in Gilgandra, and was a great benefactor to the town. He sponsored many sporting activities, and Clubs, including the Gilgandra Motor Cycle Club
Photo-plaque awarded to Stavros Baveas by the Gilgandra Motor Cycle Club as a token of gratitude
In 1928, Stavros sold the ABC Cafe to Emmanuel Theo Peter Georgopoulos, pronounced "Yeoryopoulos" - Manuel Poulos.
In 1934, Manuel asked his sister Chrisannthe, "Chris", to leave Potamos, Kythera, to come to Australia, and help him run the ABC Cafe. In 1939, in a trip to Bombala, Chris met, fell in love with, and subsequently married, Paul Kelly (Yiannakellis), originally from Mytilene (Lesbos).
Meanwhile, Stavros returned to Kythera, and remained on the island.
Biography of Stavros Baveas
Gilgandra. NSW. The Kytherian presence in the town. PART ONE.
Two of Stavros's daughters. Potamos school. 1947
submitted by Manuel Cassimatis on 18.12.2005
Nikos Petrochilos: "I was moved when I saw my mothers writing. Very moved.
The message should be translated as follows : "Dear Spiro. I got your present and I thank you very very much. I wish all the best for you and your family. I send this card through Maria (? I can't read the name), because I don't know your address. With my love, Katina K. Petrochilou"".
Nikos Petrochilos attended the Primary School in Pitsinianika, Kythera and the High School (Gymnasium) in Chora, Kythera. He left Kythera when he finished the Gymnasium, at the age of 18.
Nikos went on to establish a very successful academic career in Greece.
Nikos is President, of the Society of Kytherian Studies, one of a number of prominent positions that he holds.
Nikos's mother - Aikaterini Stathi - Petrochilou.
A great deal is known about Nikos's mother, Aikaterini Stathi - Petrochilou. Aikaterini's paratsoukli was Kalogerinis. She was a school teacher in Markesakia, Kythera, for 36 years. She had many pupils who now live in Australia, such as Peter Magiros and Spyro Calokerinos.
Are you a former school pupil of Aikaterini?
What can you tell us about your experiences with her as your teacher?
More information about Kosmas and Aikaterini
Nikos Petrochilos attended the Primary School in Pitsinianika, Kythera and the High School (Gymnasium) in Chora, Kythera. He left Kythera when he finished the Gymnasium, at the age of 18.
Nikos went on to establish a very succesful academic career in Greece.
Nikos is President, of the Society of Kytherian Studies, one of a number of prominent positions that he holds.
Nikos's mother - Aikaterini Stathi - Petrochilou.
A great deal is known about Nikos's mother, Aikaterini Stathi - Petrochilou. Aikaterini's paratsoukli was Kalogerinis. She was a school teacher in Markesakia, Kythera, for 36 years. She had many pupils who now live in Australia, such as Peter Magiros and Spyro Calokerinos.
Are you a former school pupil of Aikaterini?
What can you tell us about your experiences with her as your teacher?
More information about Kosmas and Aikaterini
Beckom is located in the Riverina area of NSW in the Coolamon shire. The town is very small with a population of just 80 people. (2005).
Beckom is not represented on this map. It lies in the lower right centre of the map -near the towns of Coolamon and Marrar.
Brochure on Beckom
The town is of interest because Nikos Petrochilos's father - Kosmas - bought a shop in Beckom during the 1930's.
"I know more about Nikos's father in Australia, than anyone else, as Kosmas Petrochilos bought a shop in Beckom from Vic, Manuel's "brother-in-law".
I, Manuel Cassimatis, (father of Steve, Gerald and Anna), "was on the same ship with Kosmas Petrochilos coming to Australia."
Nikos Petrochilos - "...my father went to Australia when he was 14 years of age. He remained there up to the age of 36, when he came back to Greece. And, a little later, he got married to my mother. His life in Australia was not prosperous, in other words he didn't make money. Why, I don't know. May be because he spent more than he earned. Anyway... As far as I know, he didn't have specific "paratsoukli". In our village he was called "o Afstralezos" (the man from Australia)"
submitted by George Poulos on 16.12.2005
"I thought this was interesting.....I had been looking up information on my papou's side (Alfieris) (my yiayia's side was Chlentzos) and I came across this census that listed what looks like Nick Georgopoulos as head of the household, John Alottsiakis (cousin)probably spelled wrong, Gus Alfiers, nephew 21, and Steven Gero.....hard to read...
I don't know who this Gus Alfiers is. My papou came to the USA in 1906 to San Francisco. The above census was from NY. The rest of my papou's family went to Australia".
Pasengers for the US Immigration Officer at Port of Arrival.
[Reference provided by Vikki Farioli, California.]
submitted by George Poulos on 27.11.2005
I found this paper bag in the Gilgandra Rural Museum - not to be confused with the Coo-ee Heritage Centre just up the road - in November, 2005.
Partially destroyed by silverfish, it has subsequently been laminated - thus, preventing further damage.
The Pentes referred to is John Pentes.
John Sklavos, adopted his Kytherian parachoukli (nickname) - "Pentes" - as his Australian surname. Supposedly it was easier for the Australians to pronounce. John Pentes - was always known as "Jack".
Jack was born in the town of Mitata, Kythera. He had arrived in Gilgandra in 1929, and purchased the Carlton Cafe - previously known as the Gilgandra Tea Rooms, from an English lady. This was located at 33 Miller Street, Gilgandra.
The English Tea Rooms, origin and "style", is clearly evident from art work on this paper bag.
Jack married Stavroula Flaskas, from the town of Kythera, Kythera. Jack and Stavroula worked the Cafe for 10 years. Catherine Pentes recalls that "...the crockery from the Carlton was a heavily glazed white, adorned with a crest - green with white background, with the name Carlton Cafe, Gilgandra written in pink".
In 1939 - Jack sold the Carlton to George Peter Psaltis, who was from Potamos, Kythera. George soon after changed the name of the cafe to the Monterey.
For more information:
Gilgandra. NSW. The Kytherian presence in the town. PART ONE
Gilgandra, NSW. The Kytherian presence in the town. PART TWO
Peter Tsicalas makes reference to, the fact that Jack Pentes traded as Pentes & Gleeson (in fact Gleesos), initially, at least, through to 1931.
Peter couldn't determine who Gleeson was, but coincidentally Stan Gleeson (Stefanos/Efstathios/Efstratios Emmanuel Glytsos) spent about 9 months at 'nearby' Binnaway after landing in 1924. He moved on to settle permanently at Kyogle - and married Katina Coroneo in 1932. Andrew Mina Glitsos also landed in 1924 and spent 9 months in Gilgandra, amongst other places, before settling at Manilla.
The 1931-1932 timing for Stan Gleeson - suspected partnership termination in 1931 - and marriage a year later - 1932 - and move to another town - all serve to fit the "Gilgandra events" profile.
Questions remaining to be answered, however, include:
Can we obtain more information about the mysterious Mr Gleesos?
Can we determine conclusively that Stan Gleeson is the same person referred to as Gleesos on the paper bag above?
When did the partnership between Jack and Mr Gleesos cease?
submitted by George Poulos on 17.11.2005
Old Dubbo Cemetery, Dubbo Municipal Council, grave site document.
Ollie Con(standinou) (Tzortzo)Poulos. Searching for baby Ollie
Record of Death and Order for Internment Certificate, Ollie Poulos
Location Map of the Old Dubbo Cemetery
Old Dubbo Cemetery sign. Looking from Myall Street; the southern end
Teacher, journalist, poet and author, Sydney NSW Australia
‘Andrew’ Anargyros Vretos Fatseas
Andrew Victor Fatseas (Andy)
1907 – 1998
“Whether in bliss or in distress, I never...
I thought I replied earlier, but maybe I forgot. We're related, I'm a Paspalas also, the village...
My uncle Angelo from St. Louis used to tell us that the family came from Kythira but...
About 5 minutes into the program Ada Margariti, who is an Attorney at Law, speaks about how she came to...
Interviewed during his visit to Australia, 2013.
August 17, 2010
103.2 HOPE - radio station
You’ve heard of PhDs in science, medicine and education but have you...
kythera we dont see anymore, this photo was taken in the early 80s, when it wasnt uncommon to see this...
great initiative from Mr.Peter Manea [ middle ] from sydney who from his own doing and costings is placing a...
18.08.2018 (Message Board)
24.07.2018 (Message Board)
18.07.2018 (Message Board)
Chora - 3000e, 2 bedrooms, 2 small baths, 2 sitting areas, eat in kitchen, furnished, veranda with...
08.08.2018 (Message Board)
Consult not your fears but your hopes and your dreams. Think not about your frustrations, but about...